Thursday, April 3, 2014

365 Day 4: Hair Accessories


I'm playing The Minimalists' game for the month of April. If you like to know more about it, click here. I'm working the game into my overall goal. I want to get rid of one item (or more) everyday for the next 365 days. If you like to know more about that, click here. The game is my goal on crack. By the end of the month, I would have gotten rid of 465 items. That's a lot, and I'm not quite sure if I can do it unless I start counting crayons. But I'm willing to give it a try.

Over the years I have accumulated a lot of stuff. I really want to live in a clutter free home. That's hard right now. We're a family of five. Three of the five are kids, and boy, do they have lots and lots and lots of stuff. Yeah, I know that's my fault. I'm seeing the light, or more realistically, the clutter. We have lots of storage disguised as wooden trunks, vases, baskets, drawers, and cabinets. The clutter, however, doesn't like to stay out of sight, out of mind. We often end up with empty storage and stuff everywhere, turning this home into a dangerous labyrinth. Don't step on the Legos! Has anyone seen the bunny?! To be clear, I will not be getting rid of my husband's or kids' things and count it as part of my overall goal. I'm going to leave that up to them. Of course, they may hear some words of encouragement from me.

I tried moving toward a minimalistic lifestyle before. Obviously, I failed. I'm going to try again. So today is Day 4 of my goal, but Day 3 (or April 3) of the game. In the spirit of the game, I'm doing away with 3 hair accessories. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that the two brightly colored bands are mine and not the kids. I think my inner hippy took over that day I looked for a new hairbrush. The crazy thing is that I purchased those hair accessories and never used them... never. So not only were these things a waste of space (cluttering my bathroom sink counter), but a waste of money. Hmmm.... I think I'm slowly learning a bigger lesson here.


No comments:

Post a Comment