Thursday, April 3, 2014

Maybe I'm Not One of a Kind

It took me a long time to come up with the title Hanging Out Inside. I couldn't help but feel accomplished when I came up with it. It doesn't take a lot to send me to the clouds. I loved the name. Still love it. Too me, it explains an introvert. It also speaks to how we have an inner and outer selves, with the inner self being a place all of one's own. So, I started thinking-- I'm going to reserve the name on social media sites. Imagine how far my jaw fell when I discovered that my original idea wasn't so original. An Other was already using the name.

It was a blow. A one-two punch in the face and gut. As children, we are busy trying to fit in. We join cliques, embrace fads, and mimic popular people, shows, and music (introverts to a lesser degree, but to some degree nonetheless). Yet, at the same time, we want to be original. Who wants to have the same name as everyone else? Gah. We are social creatures with individual identities and needs and wants. We all want to belong, but we want to also be unique. Maybe it's a kind of self-preservation thing. If we can offer something unique to the group, we feel more indispensable and special. I know someone out there studies this stuff and can provide more insight. If that's you, please feel free to be the first to leave a comment.

Anyway, I recall my high school teacher stating that Darwin wasn't the only one coming up with this theory on evolution. Someone else across the oceans and land also had the idea and at about the same time. However, Darwin published first, and he owns history. It all reminds me of the Apple logo turned into a Steve Jobs tribute. You can read more about it here. Basically, more than one person claim to have independently come up with this or something very similar to it:

from techdirt.com

So what's a gal to do? I'm definitely keeping the name. I can't bare to change the name so my blog will have a title completely different than the over 150 million blogs out there now. After going through the stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance), I realize that it will be okay. I mean, if everyone freaked out because they had the same name as someone else, apocalypse would have happened yesterday. I joke often about being selfish and greedy and lazy... which may be true to a great extent... but I'm willing to share a name... this time.

ps. Our blog content is totally different anyway. Does that still make me one of a kind?


No comments:

Post a Comment