Friday, April 4, 2014

365 Day 5: Vases

Today is April 4th, or the 4th day I'm playing The Minimalists' game, hence I'm saying, "So long!" to four vases-- but just to confuse you it's day 5 since I started my declutter mission which you can read more about here

I bought two of the vases when they were on sale. Those two are the pink and white twins. Why? I guess just because they were on sale. Sometimes when I see things on sale, even if I don't need them, I invent a need or want. In this case, I envisioned filling these vases with sweet carnations all year round. I wanted to create lovely, aromatic childhood memories for my children, and when they are grown and smell carnations, they will fondly remember I did something right. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may have gotten that idea from my husband who remembers his childhood home smelling like carnations. Overt subliminal messages are powerful to a degree. My intent never met reality. There's a reason why good intentions pave the road to hell.Those empty childhood memories vases took up three years of space.

My husband gifted me the other two vases as part of a Mother's Day Bouquet. I don't remember which Mother's Days. The flowers have long dried up and been tossed in the trash. However, I couldn't bare to throw good vases away. Seriously, at the time I wasn't up to playing favorites. If pinkie and whitie were sticking around, then these two were more than welcomed to stay. I stashed them under the sink, then placed them in a cabinent, and finally next to the other vases on top of a bookcase. I tried convincing myself that this is what you call decorating. You know, storing empty vases on top of a dusty bookcase.

Who am I kidding? For the last week, I looked up at the line of vases and thought I should do something. I decided to get rid of all but one (or three) in case I get surprised with a bouquet of flowers by my sweet husband (hint, hint if you ever read this hubby) and say goodbye to these four. 

I made a rule that I can't bring something into the house unless I'm willing to let something go. It's kind of like that eye-for-an-eye thing people love to talk about. So far, I haven't made any purchases (food and hygiene products don't count). I know a week hasn't even gone by, and for many people, this is no big deal. For me, though, it's a kangaroo leap. I'm an impulsive buyer and emotional shopper. This rule, I hope, will stop me from buying needlessly or making spur of the moment, life changing plans because I just have to have... let's say that spam cutter in the drugstore I keep thinking about or vases filled with invisible carnations.

No comments:

Post a Comment